• Administrators
  • 845 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

Posted Image
  • Behind The Mask
  • Le Femme Chinoise
  • Tong Poo
  • Plastic Bamboo
  • Assez animé (from "Valses Nobles Et Sentimentale")
  • Cosmic Surfin'
  • Wanted
  • Firecracker
  • Satisfaction (DEVO version)
  • Satisfaction (Rolling Stones Version)
  • Come On
  • Day Tripper
  • Mad Pierrot
  • The End Of Asia
  • Das Neue Japanische Elektronish Volkslied
  • (Hosono's Talking)
  • A Thousand Knives

See this gig's information below B)

Edited by AutumnLeaf Projekt, 05 July 2011 - 09:20 AM.
this file download link is updated

#2 Starbug

Starbug

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Interesting! I had another recording of this, it's clearly from the same concert but the tracklist is incomplete. I had no idea they played Satisfaction live, and they did it Ó la Devo too, very cool!!! :lol: Looking forward to see what info you can dig up about this show!

#3 Georg.

Georg.

Roboter

• Super Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for this YMO show...!

#4 Takachi ALP

Takachi ALP

Dentaku

• Administrators
  • 845 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

I think this live-recording is not only very rare but also very important for YMO manias who want to know everything about them. Because many information of early days YMO was condensed on it.

Posted Image

That day's artists line-up

'the orchestra'

Haruomi Hosono
Ryuichi Sakamoto
Yukiiro Takahashi

'guest artists'

Hideki Matsutake (electronics)
Motoya Hamaguchi (percussion)
Hiroshi Matsumoto (keyboards)
Kazumi Watanabe (guitars)

This live was recorded on one day of the gigs held as "YMO 3DAYS" at the club where was mainly famous for Jazz/ blues concerts performed until it closed in 2007.

This live cocept seems to be separated in two part - on the first stage they perfored with wearing tuxedo that were their formal costume in early days、 the second they changed to weare casual and rough clothings.

only one of the three days on 21st、Akiko Yano joined them session as a guest performer - the formation of Atlantic Tour members that started next year.

Posted Image

The first stage started with "Behind The Mask", never released on public at that time officialy. It's so comfort the click beating on the intro and gets us feeling nostalgia of old synthetic sounds. Not only Sakamoto's electronic voice with vocoder, Takahashi was also singing to support due to the abilitiy of vocoder might be a little bit lower those days.

They played next "La Femme Chinoise" and "Tong Poo" changed different order of two songs on their first album "Yellow Magic Orchestra". Perhaps it would be better for smooth to next song Sakamoto's "Plastic Bamboo" By the way "Tong Poo","La Femme " and "Mad Pierrot" were issued conceptually on the first album in consious with the same three titled films of Italian movie director Jean Luc Godar.

On the biginning of "Cosmic Surfin'", Sakamoto mistook to be about playing the next "Wanted".

On the intro of "Firecracker", the final song likely for the first stage, there might be something happened. Hosono said "just a moment please." and stopped the synth-beat playing.

After this song finished, a certain MC shouted to the audience,

"Clap your hands louder if you like! I can't hear you!! Clap your hands once again louder and louder!!"

This MC seems to be Haruo Chikada (this info from the YMO fun forum of 'mixi', a Japanese SNS), who was a popular multi-talent in Japan those days. From the begining of Japanese rock, Tecno pop, new wave, hip-hnp...He was introducing and playing various genre or avantgarde music at that age before they would be popularised in our country.
By the way, here is his song called "Electric Love Story", very rare due to be supported by YMO in '79.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9B97srt6_g

The second stage, they changed to wear the tuxedo for casual clothings, likely started with two versions of "Satisfaction" and "Come On" - The covers of The Rolling Stones.

Posted Image

Then they played The Beatles' "Day Tripper" before their second album "Solid State Survivor (S.S.S)" released in next year including this cover.
By the way, why did they play the cover "Satisfaction" not only the original cover but also Devo one? :mellow:

It's said Takahashi was inspired so much with the bold and eccentric arranged Devo's Satisfaction so that he expected to arrange his favorite song of The Beatles like they did, and recoreded the cover for the YMO's next coming album "S.S.S" with the members admired.
The tune on this gig wasn't curved with irregular rhythms like the version on S.S.S, but the electronic melody-pattern were composed mostly as same as it.

And as my own guessing, one of the reason of they played The Rolling Stones' is for a guest musician who led singing and playing the guitars on them.
The guest's name is Makoto Ayukawa, this info also came from mixi as same as Haruo Chikada, who is the leader of Japanese representative rock band "Sheena and The Rokkets" formed in the late 70's. They covered those two songs on their 1st album.

As relationship to YMo, Ayukawa supported with the guitars on the album S.S.S, and YMO's tune "Radio Junk" (composed by Takahashi) was presented for The Rokkets as the track of their second album "Shinkuu-Pack (vacuum‐seal)" released in '80.

By their feeling free due to be without tuxedo? Their performance seems to get excited more and more!

"Mad Pierrot" featured the Kazumi's great-technique-arpeggio, Sakamoto's "The End of Asia" continuing as the YMO gig's credit song after、 The funky version of "Das Neue Japanische..." - Each songs is rough and wild but so excellent! :D

Before the last song of this gig "A Thousand Knives", Hosono talked to the audience about his thoughts of this live with his humor ;)

"Finally here comes the last song. I'm so glad many audience come and see here. We've been continuing for 3days featured Yano Akko-chan on the way.
This is the second times we play concerts in such a narrow venue. The first we did was placed as "featuring Ryuichi Sakamoto"*, we became hectic and sweaty so much at that time. However I keep relaxing better today.
Especially I played with wearing a tuxedo at first...Wearing a casual clothe is the playing become also casual performance... However by wearing a tuxedo, I change my look and a little... if the stage much larger, it might fit quite my feeling...It make me feel incongruity when I look around nere here.
If the audience wore the tuxedo, it’s better than I do...(laugh)
I'm gonna notice them for ready the tuxedo to come and see us for the next time. (laugh)
If you never have, please go to Bricks**! (laugh on loud)
This is the last tune. "1000 Knives""

*The commemorative gig of the Sakamoto's 1st solo album in August that year.
**The clothing boutique of Yukihiro Takahashi.

According to this live setlist, they played again "Day Tripper" as an encore tune.

Furthurmore as worthy of special mention, the setlist noticed Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" was played on the interval between "Firecraclker" and "Satisfaction "; i.e. during the 1st stage to 2nd.!! :blink:

However it is not certain unfortunately whether the tune was played by themselves or by programming automatically or with some audio simply...
  • rasputin and Keep Werking like this

#5 rasputin

rasputin

Coordinator

• Root Admin
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Great contribution

#6 KS-20

KS-20

Vitamin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

#7 rasputin

rasputin

Coordinator

• Root Admin
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

If you get a 404 on any link, click the REPORT Button.
Mention DEAD LINK in the report.

#8 Takachi ALP

Takachi ALP

Dentaku

• Administrators
  • 845 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks KS

Here is this new link B)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F7PALUR6

• rasputin likes this

#9 KS-20