31 replies to this topic

#1 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

I've enjoyed reading these stories and seeing the pics if the "original" Kling Kling. I would love to get a chance to go at some point and see it for myself.
But, it got me to thinking and I was wondering if anyone had found or knew anything about the "new" Kling Klang? I read something somewhere and I can't remember where, but it was written by a head honcho lady at the either the TATE or the MOMA (can't remember) and she said something in the article about visiting Kling Klang when planning the shows and described it. I'll see if I can find the article and I'll post it.
But, has anyone else done any digging to see if we could locate the new location? Even a google map street view?

#2 aarol01

aarol01

Roboter

• Super Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Some addresses are found in https://www.klingkla...tegtjglgiup0ij1

#3 lamusica

lamusica

Roboter

• Super Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

Awwww please no photos or googleview or addresses, bit too intrusive  :(  

#4 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

No intrusion intended at all. not looking for their homes, just a music studio.and all in good fun. The old kling klang was known for years and I don't think it was a huge deal. I think they moved mostly because of functionality and the Ralf Florian break up. Never fun to live with your ex :)
Plus, I think it's part of the mystic. The hunt. The secret location. I don't think anyone who respected them would ever try to disturb them or invade their privacy. I could care less about their personal lives and would never try to invade their privacy. But Kling Klang is their work, and part of their public "job" is making making music there.
Just wondering where it is now and what it looks like.
Also that article I read said something to the effect of it having a huge studio room, mostly open and looking more like a rehearsal studio for their shows, but along the wall were "the robots" lit up with green lighting.
It also had a small modest office.
I know I read this somewhere the other day, I just have to find it.

#5 slaught

slaught

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

Klingklang & Kraftwerk are based in Meerbusch, Lise-Meitner Str., 8 (north-west from Düsseldorf)

• rasputin likes this

#6 Den

Den

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

I thought the new studio is at Mollsfeld, Meerbusch-Osterath ?

#7 The Man Machine

The Man Machine

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:39 AM

Does Florian Schneider own the old Kling Klang studio now, the beige building that we all know about?

Edited by The Man Machine, 09 June 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#8 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

I believe that was the case, not sure now. He sold a bunch of stuff from the old studio on ebay a while back, so who knows if he is still using the facility or not.

And I can't find that article I read anywhere. It's irritating me. I wish I would have saved the link.

Edited by cl45music, 20 June 2014 - 10:25 PM.

• melectric likes this

#9 melectric

melectric

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:14 PM

I believe that was the case, not sure now. He sold a bunch of stuff from the old studio on ebay a while back, so who knows if he is still using the facility or not.
And I can't find that article I read anywhere. It's irritating me. I wish I would have saved the link.

Do you know for sure it was Florian selling the stuff on eBay?

I exchanged a few [cryptic] messages with the seller, I asked if the goods were from Kling Klang and he said

"I am not allowed to tell you further details"

I replied asking "I assume that because you can't say that these items are what I think they are?"

To be told

"Yes, you are right. Its because i am not allowed to say what you want to hear."
  • Efun likes this

#10 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:46 PM

Do you know for sure it was Florian selling the stuff on eBay?I exchanged a few [cryptic] messages with the seller, I asked if the goods were from Kling Klang and he said"I am not allowed to tell you further details"I replied asking "I assume that because you can't say that these items are what I think they are?"To be told"Yes, you are right. Its because i am not allowed to say what you want to hear."

I don't know for sure it was Florian selling the stuff, but I know they sold an item that had had his signature on it.
TV monitor/phone switchboard thing. :)
Not sure if this link will work or not.

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

#11 bcass

bcass

Lepton

• Administrators
  • 965 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

The equipment being sold was obviously ex-kling klang gear. I doubt it was Florian selling the items personally though. More like a 3rd party doing the donkey work.

#12 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

No intrusion intended at all. not looking for their homes, just a music studio.and all in good fun. The old kling klang was known for years and I don't think it was a huge deal. I think they moved mostly because of functionality and the Ralf Florian break up. Never fun to live with your ex :)
Plus, I think it's part of the mystic. The hunt. The secret location. I don't think anyone who respected them would ever try to disturb them or invade their privacy. I could care less about their personal lives and would never try to invade their privacy. But Kling Klang is their work, and part of their public "job" is making making music there.
Just wondering where it is now and what it looks like.
Also that article I read said something to the effect of it having a huge studio room, mostly open and looking more like a rehearsal studio for their shows, but along the wall were "the robots" lit up with green lighting.
It also had a small modest office.
I know I read this somewhere the other day, I just have to find it.

Found it finally :)

http://www.taipeitim...18/2003555066/3
  • staggboy likes this

#13 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

Also here:

http://www.theguardi...ronic-band-tate
  • staggboy and Zurdta like this

#14 Efun

Efun

Schaufensterpuppen

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

Sounds like Hutter was chatting some interesting details there. I wish we heard more about his communications with the woman from Tate as well as what the inside of the studio was like. Do you reckon the setup with the robots and green lighting is only done for guests?

#15 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Sounds like Hutter was chatting some interesting details there. I wish we heard more about his communications with the woman from Tate as well as what the inside of the studio was like. Do you reckon the setup with the robots and green lighting is only done for guests?

Who knows??
I could see it both ways. Having them up all the time, and or just having them up for guests. Though I tend to lean towards them being up more often then not. Mostly because of the fact that I don't assume Kling Klang really has that many visitors, and also it just sounds like something Ralf would do :) A personal thing.
Up except of course when the robots are out doing interviews or photo sessions :)
  • Efun likes this

#16 Efun

Efun

Schaufensterpuppen

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Who knows??
I could see it both ways. Having them up all the time, and or just having them up for guests. Though I tend to lean towards them being up more often then not. Mostly because of the fact that I don't assume Kling Klang really has that many visitors, and also it just sounds like something Ralf would do :) A personal thing.
Up except of course when the robots are out doing interviews or photo sessions :)

Interesting thought. It does sound very Ralf. I wonder if they're in their 'Man Machine' clothes/Neon suits/bare? And surely Stefan's robot isn't there - so maybe Falk's?

I don't imagine it's just the three main musicians. I hope it's not. I like Falke.  :P I bet to see inside kling klang would be amazing. Those 1991 Mix photos included in The Catalogue..while nice to have, there are SO MANY photos from that era you can find on the internet not included in the book.

I'd like to see some new Robots photos from the current lineup. I'm really fond of Henning. Falke seems very appreciative/happy in his role. Fritz also has been there for a long time, so we already have seen his Robot on 'The Mix' but it's hardly recognisable to him now.

Edited by Efun, 19 July 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#17 cl45music

cl45music

Vitamin

• Super Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

Ralf, Henning, and Fritz all have current robots for sure as we've seen them in videos "the robots 2013" etc... And promo photos. I have yet to see a robot of Falk though. They have continued to use Stefan's robot as far as I can tell.

Has anyone seen a robot of Falk yet?

#18 The Man Machine

The Man Machine

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

Ralf, Henning, and Fritz all have current robots for sure as we've seen them in videos "the robots 2013" etc... And promo photos. I have yet to see a robot of Falk though. They have continued to use Stefan's robot as far as I can tell.

Has anyone seen a robot of Falk yet?

I would be interested in seeing Falk Grieffenhagen's robot, as well. I think you're right, the robot that's featured now is still Stefan Pfaffe.

What about the original robots from Kraftwerk's earlier years, between The Man-Machine and Computer World? Have their been any pictures of them more recent than around 1981? Also, I've noticed that Kraftwerk used mannequins for the Showroom Dummies music video, although they were bald and wearing suits. Were the bald mannequins the same as the robot mannequins first seen in 1978, just without hair?

• Efun likes this

#19 Efun

Efun

Schaufensterpuppen

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

I would be interested in seeing Falk Grieffenhagen's robot, as well. I think you're right, the robot that's featured now is still Stefan Pfaffe.

What about the original robots from Kraftwerk's earlier years, between The Man-Machine and Computer World? Have their been any pictures of them more recent than around 1981? Also, I've noticed that Kraftwerk used mannequins for the Showroom Dummies music video, although they were bald and wearing suits. Were the bald mannequins the same as the robot mannequins first seen in 1978, just without hair?

Showroom Dummies mannequins, I don't think they have anything to do with the 'robots' mannequins as their heads look totally different, in my opinion - much less specific and more generic.

However, there are photos of the 'robot' mannequins dressed in suits and scarves** on the remastered edition of Trans Europe Express, which I think were new photos taken for the remaster - and if they were not, this suggests that they did have these 'robot' mannequins (at least, the heads) before 1978, leading me to question why they used generic ones for Showroom Dummies video.

Alternatively if said scarf photos were new pics for the remaster, that means that Kraftwerk/R&F still in 2009 have possession of Wolfgang and Karl's 'robots'  mannequins, which I don't see being true, esp. since Karl uses his for his 'Off the Record' album..but that was 2013.

Personally I feel that the Showroom dummies mannequins weren't customised and are different to the Man Machine 'robots'. However, that doesn't explain the origins of the 'scarf photos' shown on Trans Europe Express remaster.

** scarf pic visible here - it's opposite the main cover:

http://www.covershut...klet-Front.html

Edited by Efun, 25 July 2014 - 05:46 AM.

• The Man Machine likes this

#20 The Man Machine

The Man Machine

Schaufensterpuppen

• Super Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

Showroom Dummies mannequins, I don't think they have anything to do with the 'robots' mannequins as their heads look totally different, in my opinion - much less specific and more generic.

However, there are photos of the 'robot' mannequins dressed in suits and scarves** on the remastered edition of Trans Europe Express, which I think were new photos taken for the remaster - and if they were not, this suggests that they did have these 'robot' mannequins (at least, the heads) before 1978, leading me to question why they used generic ones for Showroom Dummies video.

Alternatively if said scarf photos were new pics for the remaster, that means that Kraftwerk/R&F still in 2009 have possession of Wolfgang and Karl's 'robots'  mannequins, which I don't see being true, esp. since Karl uses his for his 'Off the Record' album..but that was 2013.

Personally I feel that the Showroom dummies mannequins weren't customised and are different to the Man Machine 'robots'. However, that doesn't explain the origins of the 'scarf photos' shown on Trans Europe Express remaster.

** scarf pic visible here - it's opposite the main cover:

http://www.covershut...klet-Front.html

Thanks. You're right about the mannequins from the Trans-Europe Express photograph with them wearing coats and scarves. I forgot about that photo, but I had assumed that the bald dummies and the later ones that would be the robots were the same.

Looking at this video one more time, the bald mannequins do appear have different faces from the ones with hair. What this means, is that during 1977, Kraftwerk owned two sets of mannequins; the bald ones seen in the "Showroom Dummies" music video, and the ones most famously featured in "The Robots" music videos.

Edited by The Man Machine, 25 July 2014 - 06:19 AM.

• staggboy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users